501c3 Status

For proof of your 501(c)(3) status:

If you are an operating charity: Attach a copy of your letter from the Internal Revenue Service notifying you of your tax-exempt status as a public charity as defined in section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code (IRC) and that your organization is not a private foundation” under Section 509(a)(1) or Section 509(a)(2) of the IRC. This is the letter you would have received when you first organized so it may be dated years ago. This letter is NOT from the State of Florida authorizing your sales tax exemption as a non profit organization.

If you are a church: Churches that meet the requirements of IRC section 501(c)(3) are automatically considered tax exempt and are not required to apply for and obtain recognition of tax-exempt status from the IRS. Although there is no requirement to do so, many churches seek recognition of tax-exempt status from the IRS because such recognition assures church leaders, members, and contributors that the church is recognized as exempt and qualifies for related benefits. Most major denominations have group exemptions for their member churches. Therefore, if your church has a tax exempt letter, please provide us a copy as outlined above for operating charities. If your church has not filed for tax exempt status, please provide a letter from the Chairman of your Finance Committee (or other similar position) stating that your church is a public charity organized and operated exclusively for religious, charitable, or other exempt purposes as described in IRC Section 501(c)(3).

If you are a governmental agency: Most government agencies (schools, fire departments, police departments, public libraries, etc.) do not have an IRS exemption letter. Please provide a letter from your highest official (principals for schools, Fire Chief for fire department, etc.) stating that your group is a recognized part of the governmental agency making the request and that any funds awarded will be specifically earmarked for charitable purposes (not all governmental purposes are charitable purposes).

If you still have questions, please contact Amy Parker at (904) 269-5857 x404 and she can help you figure out what to submit.

Home About Us Current Grants 5 Year Grant Summary Financial Data News Contact Us
Celebrate Clay Detailed Information Tips for the Application 501c3 Proof Application Leadership Initiative Directory of Services

Copyright © 2010 Paul & Klare Reinhold Foundation Designed & Developed by Integrated Webworks